Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Nice Lait!

News of this great invention comes courtesy of Jeff Steiner, an American living in La Roche sur Foron (near Geneva). Steiner works as an English teacher and real estate agent but he also publishes numerous blogs, newsletters and websites including one called Americans in France (www.americansinfrance.net), which he started in 2001. Check it out, there's lots of great info there: some 4000 pages about various aspects of living and traveling in France. Jeff writes: "The photos were taken in Annecy-le-Vieux, where a machine dispenses fresh unpasteurized milk direct from a local dairy farm. I had heard about machines like this before, but never saw one in action. The idea is that the dairy farmer can go directly to the consumer and the consumer can buy fresh milk that's only filtered, thus 'drinking directly from the cow.' The cost is 1€ for a liter of milk, advertised to last up to three days."

7 comments:

  1. Honestly, had this been posted on April 1st I would have cried April fool. I've never heard of anything like it in France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Want a machine that dispenses fresh, warm pain au chocolat, too. Is that asking too much?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking to my editor the other day about this very thing. She was telling me about machines in Italy that dispensed raw milk just like this. (And we were on our way to a farm near me where they sell raw milk!) Now if I can only find a source for raw goat's milk near me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just talking to my editor the other day about this very thing. She was telling me about machines in Italy that dispensed raw milk just like this. (And we were on our way to a farm near me where they sell raw milk!) Now if I can only find a source for raw goat's milk near me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, no way! That's nuts. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pookiebits@aol.comMarch 6, 2012 at 7:59 PM

    I love the watchful cow on top of the machine, standing guard.

    ReplyDelete